CSCI Y390 & Y391
What are these courses?
- CSCI-Y 390 Undergraduate Independent Study (1-3 cr.)
Independent research based
on existing literature or original work. A report, in the
style of a departmental technical report, is required. (Take a glimpse of the Computer Science technical reports)
- CSCI-Y 391 Undergraduate Independent System
Development (1-3 cr.)
The student designs, programs, verifies, and documents a
- May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credit hours of any
combination of CSCI-Y 390, Y 391, Y 399 (internships) and Y 499 (Honors research).
What's the difference between these two courses?
For Y391, the student is expected to complete a project, involving designing, programming etc.
Why take these courses?
Independent study enables a student to pursue for course credit a research or a topic of interest
under the supervision of a faculty member. The student is expected to take the lead in an independent study
- Flexible topic: The student essentially creates his/her own course on a specific topic, under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
- Flexible scheduling: There will be no regular lecture/lab sections for the student to attend. However, the student needs to meet individually with the faculty member on a regular basis to discuss the reading materials, writing assignments, the student's progress etc.
By completing an independent study, the student
- demonstrates her/his ability to work independently and proactively.
- improves understanding of the chosen research topic .
How to enroll in these courses?
Please note that enrolling in these courses requires faculty's permission. Think about what you want to study, so you can find a faculty mentor whose expertise/research area matches your topic. Contact the faculty member to check his/her availability and discuss about details (e.g., what you need to achieve to receive an A on the course). Once he/she agrees, you can follow the steps below to enroll in the course.
- Submit a request through the student database (https://cid.indiana.edu/SiS/student.cfm).
- On the online form, please fill in the name of the faculty member with whom you will be doing the independent study (NOT the instructor listed on this course). Your request routes to the faculty for approval.
- Once the faculty member approves your request, you will be able to register for the course.
How your grade will be determined?
The faculty advisor with whom you work with will give you the final grade. There is no single recipe for determining the grade, depending on the faculty advisor and the type of research project you are working on.
Whom to contact if you are still confused?
Please contact the instructor (email@example.com) if you have more questions regarding these courses.