Course Policies and Guidelines
- Honor Code: Students are expected to follow the
IU Computer Science
honor code. Specifically, for this class the students can discuss general
approaches to the assignments with colleagues but copying of the final solution
is not permitted. Projects will mostly be done in small groups and issues in
copying code will be dealt with strictly.
- Problem Sets: Each written assignment must be submitted in
in class on the due date. No credit will be given to illegible assignments, so type
them whenever possible.
- Projects: All projects are due by 11.59pm the
day they are due. Canvas will be used
for turning them in.
- Late Policy: Each student will be given four grace days to use for programming assignments throughout the semester. Once those days have been used, the programming projects will be accepted with a 25%
penalty in grade for each day they are late. When using a grace day for a project, all group members must use a grace day. If any group member does not have a grace day available, no grace day may be used on the project.
- Quizzes Quizzes will be adminstered weekly during the first
15 minutes of class. The quizzes will be weighted evenly, and the aggregate
grade will replace a traditional midterm. There are no makeup quizzes.
Students will be allowed to drop their lowest three quizz grades. All quizzes
are closed book and closed notes.
- Final Exam: The final exam will include all material covered
during the semester. It will be closed book and
closed notes. However, a one page cheat sheet (both sides) will be allowed
to avoid testing on formulae memorization. The use of calculators is
- Grading: Any issues in the grading of projects and
assignments need to be resolved within 10 working days of receiving the grade.
After that the allocated grade will be considered final.
- Web Board Usage: Students are expected to ask assignment
and project related questions using the class Web board and not by emailing
the instructor/AI personally. This is to ensure fairness and to efficiently
disseminate answers to common questions without duplication. Instructor and AI
availability over the weekend will be limited.
- Attendance: Unplanned absences will be excused only when a medical note or a Dean's note is provided. Planned ablsences may be excused only when requested at least 2 weeks in advance and must be for university related
travel (e.g. conferences, job interviews).
- Laptop Usage in Class:
The use of laptops in the class is prohibited.